Monday, February 18, 2013

Prepping: traveling, arriving, and settling in (pt 1)

We've arrived. York has welcomed us with open arms!

Traveling was hard - a lot of hours of sitting around... I did practice my sociolinguistic interviewing skills on the plane. It is hard, but practice does make a difference.

I´m going to make this quick because my roommates are trying to sleep right now... Key things:
- Our professor is making us keep a notepad of things we find that are different linguistically to what we find in Canada.
- A hotel can define a 3 bedroom accommodations and really mean "we put 3 beds in a room that should only have one". We'll make it work though.
- At times it feels like everything is happening suddenly with very little prep; but other times I realize, "how much prep can one really get?"

I think that's it for now. I'll start posting all of the differences we find in later blogs - when I'm more awake. I'll also append to this post in the morning after I get some more sleep.

Au revoir à tous!

"Happiness... is not a destination: it is a manner of traveling. Happiness is not an end in itself. It is a by-product of working, playing, loving and living." - Haim Ginott

1 comment:

  1. Eww, Purple. Couldn't go with another colour? Well, sounds like your there and safe. I'll keep checking in. Peace

    ReplyDelete