Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Day 2 - Trading Batman for Superman

I swapped partners today. Yesterday, my partner (like I said) was AMAZING! But he needed a little push. He kind of needed to be trusted into it, which we all did, but unlike the rest of us, my previous partner survived and became better for it.

Today's partner was equally amazing, but it was just built into him. He was able to create great questions, approach people quickly, and just knew what he was doing like it was instinct - or built into him.

Anyway, the project.
I had one interview today and it went really well. I think that now I had the experience already in doing a cross-gender interview, it was much easier the second time. Also, the interviewee was just so responsive to the slightest questions.
We did have two interviews cancel on us. Well, one rescheduled, the other was a no-show. That taught me a valuable lesson (provided to me by my prof): either do the interview immediately or make sure you get their instant contact information (ie, if they check their e-mail more than anything else, you want that). New approach gained!
We tried recruiting new interviewees, but that was unsuccessful. The nice part about this is that this didn't discourage either my partner or myself. We were able to keep on trying. After I was done my assignment, I did try going back out into the field to find more people to interview, but it turns out the Centre is not the location to find people born and raised in Yorkshire. It's okay, I'll keep trying. Eventually I'll get someone to interview.
I'm going back to University of York to do a few more interviews. Afterwards I'm planning to visit the CS department and use my school's name as a way in to see some of the profs there and try to get interviews like that - somehow. This isn't a well thought-out plan, but it is a plan nevertheless.

One final word of advice, and in all my years of computer science, this is the best thing I've learned - never, ever trust technology.

Well, I'm super tired, so I'm going to go back to studying then try one more run in the centre for more interviews. Sometimes when you don't have the JLA, you do it alone.

Some new things that I noticed in York:
When they show capacity for the bus they gave different configurations. So for a bus that had a max capacity of 66 people they also said, "seated 38, standees 26, wheelchairs 0 or seated 35, standees 31, wheelchairs 0 or seated 37, standees 23, wheelchairs 1".
They have a money plate on the bus where you put your change - you don't give it to the driver. But I only saw this on the bus.
"point" is an indicator of a location (ie, "beverages point" means "pick-up beverages here"
"First timer's luck" > "Beginners luck"

Au revoir à tous!
"You and I... with what we do... what's at stake... we can't fail. Others don't understand, but even if it's... impossible, we still have to succeed." - Batman

2 comments:

  1. Na na na na na na na na na, BATMAN! I coded everyone as JLA members because I'm geeky like that.

    ReplyDelete